I’ve found this recipe on One Green Planet, and baked it yesterday.
It’s really sumptuous and I must confess I ate it all, by myself! Any idea on how to stop loving bread so much??
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats (or lightly grind regular oats)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 2 cups soy milk (I used almond milk)
- 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 450F and lightly oil a loaf pan – or use an oversized pie plate as I did. (It looks prettier, I think, and bakes faster.)
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy milk and applesauce. Stir this mixture into the oat mixture and add the sunflower seeds. Stir just enough to make sure there are no dry spots.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-45 minutes (depending on which type of pan you use). Bottom of loaf should sound hollow when tapped. Let cool a bit before cutting and serving.
This would also be tasty with the addition of dried cranberries and/or toasted walnuts. Add a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup if you like a sweeter bread.